21/12/2011

Sunsets and satsangs

Rishikesh is tucked into a quiet crevice of my heart. Living in an ashram on the banks of the Ganges did more good for me than I initially realised, it offered a quiet refuge from the busy vikram-packed streets that is typical of India. I was told of a beggar who also lived on her banks, who could barely feed himself, but always somehow found food to feed a troop of stray dogs living with him. His shack is nexto a tree-shaded chai stall by Ramjhula (best ginger lemon tea ever), and there I gave him bags of dog food and money that he put to his forehead in appreciation. Hearing of individuals like that gives me hope in the goodess of human beings. Other moments of beauty and stillness cropped up here and there and I documented where I could. Holy Ganga worship, sunset contemplations, handpainted adverts, bathing pilgrims, lessons from a Swami, morning mantras and offerings, ashram living, incense alleys, bindi blessings, pans of spices, ayurvedic massages, Shiva's grace, yoga postures, strong currents for one's sins, Himalayan bliss.





1 comment:

  1. I feel like repeating myself but I simply love your way of taking pictures. And they inspire my aspiration to return to this magical country as soon as possible....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...