11/07/2015

Cheers

Sugar ticks and selfie sticks
Cobbled streets basted in oil slicks
Swipe to the right peepshows
Broken sleep, wandering where your mind goes
I wish I had never led us here
If I could only clamp my eyes and plug my ears
The City of corrupted fiends
Your behaviour my soul demeans

Litter-strewn and vomit-soaked
Lines of mandy, nitrogen-oxide smoked
No room to breath, no space to sit
Stiletto heels seemed for you a better fit
Offering the City what was once intact
Your affection, like a summer's day, a vanishing act
Now wrapped up in knowing what I lack
Short skirts in taxi cabs, both black
Frayed wit and hollowed eyes
Walking past off-licences stacking putrid pork pies
And cornish pasties
And kebabs

What do I do now without you here
A place so easy to feel your worth does not exist, as I disappear
Half-awake on trains where no one speaks
Internally focused on what the iphone leaks
While I hear sirens and tyrants' bank balances soar
More, more, more
Embracing the fast, gin-soaked race with some trendy herb
Festering mattresses retired to the kerb
Steeped in rain and melancholy
No longer necessary
(Like me)
Beside boozed-up lads banishing love with another round
Don't worry mate, plenty other birds around.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...